Pages


My photo
I'm a twenty-nine year old Army wife currently living near a large Army post. I have an unhealthy obsession with Dr. Pepper, the Internet, cloth diapers, and ridiculous TV shows. I'm a stay at home mom to two beautiful daughters, AJ and Amelia. We also have a 6 year old beagle named Abby who is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Volunteering

Since I actually did something this weekend, I figured that I would update y'all on how it went.

On Saturday afternoon my friend M and I volunteered at the USO for the first time. We went to the orientation (I use this term lightly, we filled out an application, they showed us where all the stuff was and gave us a piece of paper stating that we must wear at least short sleeves and closed-toe shoes) for it last weekend and decided to help out this weekend.

I'm not going to lie. I was a little bit nervous. I wasn't really sure what to expect. What if the soldiers were rude to us? What if all the other volunteers were seasoned pros and we looked like useless nerds? What if we felt out of place?

Well, after our first shift, I think it is fair to say that none of the above-mentioned situations played out. The soldiers were all more than polite, downright friendly even. The volunteers were far from seasoned pros. In fact, there were several other first-timers there alongside us! The more seasoned workers were super friendly and showed us the ropes, then made us feel right at home!

I was placed in the snack bar and honestly, it brought back memories! I felt as if I were back in college working at the food court again! Ha! Those were the days! I may or may not have looked like a nerd in my baseball hat though. I couldn't tell you though, I avoided the mirror! ;)

All in all, it was nice to get to spend an afternoon away from my domestic obligations that did not involve grocery shopping or working out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think...