Pages


My photo
I'm a twenty-nine year old Army wife currently living near a large Army post. I have an unhealthy obsession with Dr. Pepper, the Internet, cloth diapers, and ridiculous TV shows. I'm a stay at home mom to two beautiful daughters, AJ and Amelia. We also have a 6 year old beagle named Abby who is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, October 29, 2012

How I Met Your Father

I'm linking up with Becky at From Mrs. to Mama this morning because I thought the questions were cute and that you all would enjoy reading about my relationship with D.  If you'd like to participate and link up, you can find her blog, here.


1.   Tell us about how and when you met your love and what attracted you most to him.

D and I met twelve years ago when we were Juniors in high school.  We went to different high schools, both private.  His was an all-boys Catholic Military school, mine was a co-ed Catholic school.  Because we lived in the same general area and both went to Catholic schools, we actually had a lot of mutual friends.  In fact, I think its almost funny that it took us so long to meet, given the facts.

When he was in primary school, he had a few close friends, Mike*, John*, and Jim*, and they both ended up going to my high school.  Well, it just worked out that my three closest friends in high school ended up being Mike, John and Jim.  Right before our junior year of high school started, John found out his family was moving to California, so we had a big going away party for him.

It wasn't just our usual group of friends that attended, though.  This time, all his friends from growing up were there, and that included D.  We were at another girl's house and I remember thinking how cute he was.  It didn't take long before we were flirting with each other and eventually exchanged numbers at the end of the night.

He didn't wait long to call, which is always a plus.  We didn't really waste any time getting our relationship started.  Almost immediately we were jamming up the phone lines in our parent's houses, talking until all hours of the night.  We continued dating until around prom time senior year, when we mutually decided that it didn't make sense for either of us to be tied down going into the next stage of our lives.  D was enlisting in the Army and I was heading off to a Big Ten university.

2.   Tell us some of your favorite memories that you two had together.

There are so many memories from the last twelve years, that I don't even know where to begin.  I might have to say the random nights we spent parked at Dunkin' Donuts with our friends, or meeting his HUGE family and being completely overwhelmed at his grandfather's 80th birthday party.  It could be the family reunion on which he accompanied me where he was the only one with an actual plane ticket.  Or "sight-seeing" at the site of the Johnstown flood.  However, the day he graduated college, commissioned and proposed all within 2 hours ranks up there.  Or maybe its our wedding day.  It could be the night we reunited after 3 years, talking and drinking in his parent's basement.  Or maybe its the first kiss we shared after deciding that we were going to start dating again.  I also love all the memories of us from the adventures we had so far in our Army life.  Moving from GA to TX, to WA, to MO, to NC and exploring new terrain together.  Reuniting for R&R and after deployments are some of the happiest, while sending him back after R&R was one of the worst.  We've also found out we were expecting and going to have babies.  AJ's birthday was one of the most hazy, but wonderful days of my life.  Seeing him jump right into baby duty after my C-Section and knowing then and there that I chose the right person.  Watching the way he looks into our daughter's eyes.  Right after we got engaged we went on a cruise in the Carribbean, that was pretty awesome.  Holidays that we've spent at home with family, and those that we spent on the road, hotels or furniture-less in new homes.  We've been through a lot in the past twelve years and I'm so happy that we've been able to share it all with each other.

3. Tell us your favorite qualities about this man, what makes him "the one."

One of my favorite qualities of his is also one of the qualities that drives me the most insane at times.  I'm talking about his inability to ever give less than 150%.  This is a quality that is obviously very desirable for me, but when it means he's still at work at 8 pm on a Friday night, I can't lie and say that I haven't wished that he'd just leave the work for someone else to do.  Haha.  I do understand however, that almost everything in life is a double-edged sword, and I've come to take pride in his work-ethic.

4. Tell us what your "date nights" typically look like.

Hahahahahahahaha!  We so rarely have date nights that its funny to talk about what they "typically" look like.  But basically, they take one of two forms.  We either dress up and head out to an expensive restaurant where we order steak, seafood and alcohol to enjoy, or we go see a movie and get Jimmy John's on the way home.  I think both are important to a relationship.  We've never been the type of couple who needed to impress each other, so having those low-key dates are sometimes the most fun for us!

3 comments:

  1. How sweet to read this! I have to agree that watching J jump into action after my c-section, take are of our daughter, help me shower in the hospital, and put my binder on every time I finished using the restroom (for at least 4 weeks straight) was all I'll ever need to know I chose the right man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from the linkup & a new follower. Looking forward to getting to know you.
    > Chelsea
    www.diamondsdogtagsdiapers.com
    @MotoWife

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think...