Pages


My photo
I'm a twenty-nine year old Army wife currently living near a large Army post. I have an unhealthy obsession with Dr. Pepper, the Internet, cloth diapers, and ridiculous TV shows. I'm a stay at home mom to two beautiful daughters, AJ and Amelia. We also have a 6 year old beagle named Abby who is as dumb as a box of rocks.

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11

Although I don't have much to say on the topic that hasn't already been said more eloquently by other bloggers, I can't help but think back to September 11, 2001.
Someone else's picture.

I was sitting in second period Statistics my senior year of high school and remember when a classmate of mine came in and told us that the World Trade Center in New York City had been bombed. Obviously at the time we didn't know what had happened, but a school administrator (don't remember who) came on the announcements shortly after and explained what had happened.

I remember thinking to myself at the time that this would be one of those moments I would remember for the rest of my life. I would never forget where I was the moment I heard. I would never forget the person who told me (even if I don't remember a single other person from high school, Lauren Beck will forever be etched in my mind). I knew then, at 17, that September 11, 2001 would be a day to my generation that was equivalent to the day Pearl Harbor was attacked for my grandparent's generation or the day Kennedy was shot for my parent's generation.

I remember coming home after school and watching the news with my mom. We just sat there, crying. I think everyone cried that day. It sure felt like the country was crying. In my opinion, one of the most impressive things about that day? The way the country pulled together and developed an unprecedented amount of patriotism. For the first time in my life, we were all in it, together.

Sadly, we no longer see this degree of pride in our country. What happened? Have we forgotten the lives lost on this day, nine years ago? Have we forgotten the fact that we are still sending our husbands, wives, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers off to war? Have we forgotten that we are all still in this, together?

If you don't do anything else to honor the lives lost nine years ago, or the men and women who still put their lives at risk each day to protect our country, please, fly your flag. Maybe it will remind your friends and neighbors that we need to pull together and appreciate everything that this country stands for and those who make our freedoms possible.

I'll be flying my flag, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think...