Pages


My photo
I'm a twenty-nine year old Army wife currently living near a large Army post. I have an unhealthy obsession with Dr. Pepper, the Internet, cloth diapers, and ridiculous TV shows. I'm a stay at home mom to two beautiful daughters, AJ and Amelia. We also have a 6 year old beagle named Abby who is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Powered by Blogger.

Friday, December 16, 2011

My All-Time Favorite Christmas Movies

Anyone who knows me knows that I have an unhealthy obsession with Christmas movies. When I was in high school my best friend and I would have a Christmas movie watching party the weekend of Thanksgiving each year. It was really more like two bums sitting on a couch in the basement watching movies than a party, but I digress.

I like Christmas movies so much that two of them actually rank amongst my top movies of all time list.

I'll be completely honest and let you all in on a little secret though. I don't really like movies. They're just not my thing. It drives my hubby crazy because I never want to watch movies, but my dad is the same way, so I think its genetic.

With that being said, here is my list.

10. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
There isn't really a more iconic Christmas movie than this, is there? I mean, I grew up watching this on tv and I remember writing the date and time on the family calendar so we could make sure we were watching it!

9. Charlie Brown Christmas
I think its actually the music to this movie that gets me. We recorded it on our DVR last night so it was on while I was making Christmas cookies and I was just feeling so very Christmas-y.

8. The Santa Clause
I can't really explain why I love this movie so much, but I really like Christmas movies in which Santa is proven to be real. Just makes me think of the magic of Christmas. I also thought it was pretty cool how his beard could grow back in a few seconds.

7. A Christmas Story
There is just something about the scene where the kid is bundled up within an inch of his life that gets me every time. That and triple-dog daring. Classic.

6. Home Alone
Although this is technically a Christmas movie, I have vivid memories of a beach vacation to Lake Erie with my cousins where we watched this movie no less than 100 times during the week we were there. I think I also felt a connection to this particular movie because I grew up in Chicago, so I think of the scene where they run through O'Hare every time I'm at the airport.

5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
I've had this playing in the car for AJ lately and I love listening to the dialog and knowing that its another classic that I can pass on to my kid. I don't think I ever saw this movie as a child though. I'm certain, though, that if I did see it, I saw the old version because I'm too old to have seen the Jim Carrey version as a kid. : /

4. Elf
I'm not a Will Farrel fan. At all. In fact, this is the only movie of his (other than Talladega Nights) that I like. Hubby however, lurves him some Will Farrel. He says this is the only WF movie (other than Talladega Nights) that he doesn't like. I think we're on to something, here. Anyways, I just love this movie. It makes me happy.

3. Miracle on 34th Street (old version)
This is another classic that I've been playing for AJ in the car. She really likes the music and kind of dances in her carseat. Its cute. There is some subtle humor and the script is so well written. I like "kids" movies that appeal to adults as well.

2. Christmas Vacation
Obviously not a movie I'm going to pass down to my kids until later on, but this movie is one of my favorite movies of all time. I literally watch it Thanksgiving weekend every year. I love the humor, I love everything about this movie. It is not Christmas to me until I've seen this movie. This is the movie my BFF from high school and I used to watch together every year. To this day, when my cousins and I get together, we practically recite every line from the movie, even in July. I have connections with so many simply from this movie. "Merry Christmas! Shitter's full!"

1. White Christmas
My hands-down favorite movie of all time. Hubby and I danced our first dance at our wedding to one of the songs from this movie. My family used to watch this movie all together during the Christmas season and I just have so many wonderful memories from this movie. The dialog is gold. The choreography is gold. The casting is gold. All around, A+.

What about you, what are your favorite holiday movies?

1 comment:

  1. White Christmas is the best movie ever!! I used to watch it year round when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think...