Pages


My photo
I'm a twenty-nine year old Army wife currently living near a large Army post. I have an unhealthy obsession with Dr. Pepper, the Internet, cloth diapers, and ridiculous TV shows. I'm a stay at home mom to two beautiful daughters, AJ and Amelia. We also have a 6 year old beagle named Abby who is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Cookie Time!

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the foods served for holiday meals, and this includes the types of Christmas cookies that my mom makes. I like the same things, year in and year out, and its a rare occasion that I'll allow a new recipe into the rotation. With that being said, my family has incorporated Pioneer Woman's Soul Sweet 'Taters into our Thanksgiving feast the past few years. It is good enough to make the (very selective) cut and become a traditional dish on our table.

I could tell you about the year that my mom thought she'd spruce up the holiday table and make cranberry sauce from actual cranberries (vs. opening the can and slicing it up). I could relish you all with the story about the year my mom added fresh green beans to the green bean casserole. Don't get me wrong, I like homemade cranberry sauce a lot now that I'm an adult, but its just the idea that while we're all growing up and our lives are changing, there are some things that will always stay the same.

With that being said, the Christmas cookies my mom makes are the same ones she has been making since the dawn of time. I thought that over the next few days I'd share some of them with all of you (to make up for my repeated and unexcused absences over the last month).

I'm heading to a cookie exchange this afternoon, so I spent my Friday night making cookies to share with my friends and since y'all are my friends too, I have to share the recipe here!

***

Iced Shortbreads
1 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 c flour

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add almond extract. Stir in flour in 3 parts, beating well after each addition, dough will be stiff. Knead in bowl for 5 minutes until smooth.

Wrap dough in waxed paper and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Roll teaspoon sized pieces of dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten calls to 1/4 inch thickness. Bake for 22 minutes or until slightly colored.

Icing
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp milk

Melt butter and add powdered sugar until you achieve spreading consistency. Add vanilla and milk. Ice cooled cookies.

***

These are absolutely delicious and are obviously terrible for you. I advise you to make them right away, then pack up most of them and give them to friends and family. A few days later, you'll receive lots of unexpected gifts and lots of love from them, I promise! ;)

Come on back tomorrow for an all-time semi-famous favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think...